WORLD YOU DON'T ASK FOR NOTHING: YOU JUST TAKE

The rain fell in grey strings

Latching onto the pavement

Drilling crust to orange core

The thorny straws of alien mosquitoes

Sucked up colour & light

Draining the day to the marrow of night.


The wet worms on the sidewalk

Tensed against the ever growing wind

Turned collars and backs against heaven

I stood, bore witness and did nothing.


Planes pushed the bags of water

That were bursting on my head

Planes filled with balloons of blood

Aboard, my eyesight does not allow me

To bear witness to any bursting.


A figure knelt by the drain

A shadow with two coins for eyes

Bailing out the water with a black bag,

I fumble in my pocket for a silver disk,

I fumble and find my pocket empty.


Soaked paper ships skidded down the road

The towers held us in the V of the valley

And the flats held out as ossified giants

They stood as me,

Stood, bearing witness, doing nothing.