WHAT TO DO WITH SUNKEN SHIPS

I met him in a bar and I asked him some questions

He had just got out of the blue station

He was to be committed to the system.

‘Why did you do it?’

His English was broken

‘Woman left, job went, family

Nothing to do with me

World falls down all around’

But you’ve still got you

‘What am I?’ he asked

With all the earnest

In the thimble-full of it on this Earth.

‘I haven’t worked that out yet

But you’re still something’

He told me how he’d dropped

Sleeping pill after sleeping pill

Into the endless red road of his gullet

And he'd taken the rope up to the third floor

Attached it to the light bulb

And presently fallen asleep.

‘You’re like that ship in Kuwait I said

‘Full of ping-pong balls and floating to the surface-

The world’s not laughing at you;

It’s got its arm around your shoulders’

He liked that and he stood me a beer.