A RUMBLING

I have walked through sunrise on an August morning

With nothing but gin in my belly for three days

And a vice tightening inside

Fastening my feet to the pavement cracks

I’ve looked into them

And seen the worms they hide -

Concrete masks

Slipping into the mud,

London – built on swampland

A tortuous pink face beneath the brick.

I lift my eyes and there are others too

Others riding the same

Sinking ship

‘Captain of your own destiny’ no, no

These ships have been riding the bitumen waves

For far too long

All we can do is bail and bail and try not to fall beneath.

Pasties, croissants, sausage rolls

Locked behind orange windows

As impossible as walking to the sun

I chew upon my tongue and light head.

Hell is the mime artist trapped inside

His own invisible prison

Withering in the glasshouse.

I watch the circus of mime artists

Parading down the street

Bones breaking with each step

Who did this to us? Who

Built this pyramid

And locked us in with the dead pharaoh

Waiting for the rats

So much more hungry that you or I?

I know not, but can hear

Something passing beneath me

An angry red-eyed fleshy thing,

No, not one but many - legion,

And to here; here they come.