TRAIN RIDE

I was on a night train sent straight from her

And it was cold like our bones

Were cast through space to Jupiter

I had a coffee to warm my stomach

And by that iron light

It was black

Black as the sleep as it kept me from

And I looked in the cup and the dark went on

I looked out the window and the dark went down

Straight on

Made a hole in the floor

Straight down

Through the tunnels maw,

Where this train was heading

Any man could tell

This train was riding right down,

Down to hell.


The train lurched and we were at our stop

I went from the train and found the warmth of a church,

Stained saints pinned me to the pew where I was perched

The priest came over and asked me if I believed in the ‘one god’

I said I wasn’t counting; he did not spare the rod

He brought his cross down upon my head

Shrieked ‘This is a church boy, a church and not a bed’

With no particular place to go

It was back to the train with me,

The destination, I know.