SNAPPING TURTLE MUSIC

The night was filled

With tiny razors that

Slit my chin, old men

Might need this sharp air

I was too young and beardless.


Four of us went into the warm pub

Warm is too mild a term, it was

Oven-basting hot

Surrounded by tall turkeys

Short enough not to buy a drink

Not that I could afford one.


A band played, the room shifted

In a white anger blindly

Whipping at each other

Arms chopping the heat;

Thick axes like something

From comic books I dodged

Ducked, dived and moved

With the room. Guitars were

Not guitars but craned necks

Snapping like hungry turtles

I did everything I could

To avoid the jaws, blinded with sweat

And then it stopped and

People clapped, slapping

Each others backs and the men

On our heads got down and I looked at

John and his nose was bleeding

And his mouth was smiling.


The band said ‘Thank you’

And we all waited, panting

For the drums to strike again.