POETRY WORKSHOP III

I sat down and

Waiting in line

As one by one

They all read out their poems

The teenager in the blue or green cardigan

Wasn’t wearing one

He stood up to read his poem

I stood up also

‘Would you mind if I went first?’

He looked and smiled

‘No, not at all’

So I went first and said:


‘It’s days like this

Fresh blue cold

September mornings

I would not swap

For a full pack of cigarettes

Hot black coffee

Warms my stomach

Sets my jelly eyes

Into two, clear-cut crystals

Catch myself

In a quicksilver blue

Passing car and

Damn I’m not bad

Not too bad

Buddha, Allah and some

Holy fathers or various

Mothers of the Earth

May have lived or died

Or never been born

They all now are nothing

But this day is something

Else’


Afterwards the teenager came up to me

‘That was pretty good’ he said

‘Thanks’ I said

‘Do you want my poem from this week?’

‘No thanks’ I said

‘I see - can I have my others back?’

I reached into my pocket

And gave him the two, blue sheets of paper

And watched his face crack