AND SO IT GOES

At a bar with two friends

Drinking warm beer but it’s a cold night

Slowly soaking up the crowded room

I’m introduced to a wide eyed guy

With a huge chest, filled with heads

He works his way into talking about poetry


‘I used to write poetry –

I used to be great:

Our responsibility begins with the power to imagine’

He says, quoting Auden or Yeats or

Some dead.

‘But I had it, man I had it

I wrote this poem on the back

Of this napkin in a coffee shop

It had it all, women, sex

Power, death, oceans –

All that makes a good poem great’

The table is enamoured

‘What happened?’ a voice

Behind the table enquires

‘the waitress spilt coffee on it and

I lost it all, every word; could not remember

It killed it for me’


I think on this little death,

This little piece of gibberish.

Every poem should be that

Feeling that you cannot write another

You are shackled to the pen

Hands glued to the paper

With a knife point held to your eye

And a warm gun to your ear

So that each word you get wrong,

Those makers of your own destruction

Move a little closer and if you finish

Badly,

You lose an eye or an ear

And for every one you get right

You get nothing

Just the chance to write again

And so it goes.


As you might imagine,

I’ve spent many bullets,

Bloodied many knives and

I’ve had a lot of surgery.

In fact, I think I hear behind me

The cocking of something now.

I close my eyes and

Let go of the pen.