POETRY WORKSHOP I

I sat down and waited in line as

They, one by one

Read out their poems and

Discussed them

A teenager in a blue cardigan

Stood up and read his poem

He said ‘Hello’

Everyone said ‘Hello’ and he read:


‘Evening horns herald me from the deep

Drowsy and drunken double headed sleep

I try to squeeze the dark world from my eyes

Keep my head in a dreamboat when capsized

But lifeguards pull me up, out by my hair

They should have known I was happier down there

Dressing I swim out through the twilight pitch

In search of ice to sooth a burning itch

Your pharmakon anointed on my chest

In lack or excess, it now won’t rest

My heart is played upon a voodun drum

By a loan, boy racer’s stereo hum

Lungs shiver out breath, stolen by Amon.

Even after all times past – the beat goes on’


After the workshop

I said to the teenager

‘Can I have that poem?’

He smiled and said

‘It’s my only copy’

I said ‘Can I have that poem.’

He said O.K. and

Gave me the poem.

As I walked back home

It started to rain

It started to piss it down

I took the folded up poem out

Of my pocket and

Dropped it in a puddle

The paper went blue.