WET DOGS

It’s a day

And it’s much like any other.

The sky is bored out of its skull

And its clear internal matter

Dribbles over the skyline

Even the miniature Buddha on the veranda

Looks cold and pissed off.

Below,

The suits and ties bound across the pavement

And smell distinctly of wet dogs, though

I may be the source of this odour.

A woman in a white shirt

At least, I think she’s a woman

And it may be a shirt.

It is definitely white,

She is looking at me from her window

And I watch her from mine

The chasm between our two buildings

Makes us strange to each other

So we just stare at each other

Through our transparent prison walls

We stare until I’m not sure

What I’m looking at anymore

She has become this white canvas,

So I stop;

We stop.

And I focus

On the dogs below.