CONNUBIAL BLISS

All day

I have been

Ignoring the pull

The vortex with two swirling

Hands, wrenching at my head

Twisting it to look at the fridge

No, I’m back to being

Teetotal, regulated

On a hour by hour basis.

I’ve been just waiting

For this moment,

FIVE O . O

Those two eyes looking at me

Wondering

What am I going to do next

I know,

The fridge opens, closes

And my hand is chilled,

As my lighter slides out of my pocket

Underneath the cool green neck

And pushes up with just,

Just the right leverage

And there is a crack

A hiss

And a movement

The taste of iron on my mouth

Bubbly iron, a cold bubbling blood

The next time I look

The green is lighter

Empty

And I feel full

And ready

The ritual now over

The night comes quickly

And the night comes on hard