MIND GAMES

We were in a local pub in Cornwall.

Local is the most important word in that sentence.

Harriet’s family and I were playing snooker.

I didn’t even know I could play snooker

And in fact, I didn’t know how to play snooker

None of us did.

But we were hitting the white ball

With the cue

And trying to pocket the other colours.

A man with Celtic tribal tattoos

Who smelt like he had been washing

Inside the ale barrels

Put fifty pence on the table

Was he paying to watch us play?

Were we inadvertently busking?

Anyway, I took my shot and missed

All the balls but the black

Which meant the game was over.

We began setting up again

The man came over

‘Play us?’

He said in this deep pig grunt

‘No’ I said.

I put the triangle on the table

And began to put the balls

Inside it.

‘No, do it like this’

And he turned the triangle

The correct way up.

He then proceeded

To put all the balls in the triangle

And was lecturing me

On how to put the balls in the triangle.

My fist was hot and my mouth was becoming dry

Everything was clenching up,

The ubiquitous pub din was silent now.

I picked up one of the red balls outside of the triangle

And hit him round the face

He fell onto the table and I picked his long hair up

It was greasy brown to hold

I lifted it back

And pushed his face into the green.

Wait

Sorry, this did not happen.

Sorry, yes I am an unreliable narrator

But this is ridiculous

There should be some truth in poetry,

That’s what separates it from fiction

Otherwise, I could be writing fancy novels

I could turn the cues into sabers and enter a duel to the death

No, I don’t think you should lie (very much) in poetry.

Oh god, I think I’ve ruined this poem;

Have I ruined this poem?

I suppose I should see it through.

What I did do

Was look at Harriet’s little sister

Who was looking at me with wide brown eyes

And I looked at Harriet’s mother

And she was standing with her arms crossed

I looked at Harriet

And she had her arms crossed

And was looking with wide eyes that were sapphire blue

I think all of them were expecting me

To see red.

I picked up the yellow ball

And placed it into the triangle

‘You can play after us’

I looked at him

And I thought about what I was going to do.

He looked away

And walked back to the bar

Harriet came over,

‘I thought you were going to hit him.’

‘I thought so too’.