OH MAN OMENS

Oh that nice old woman up above

She looks on down and says

‘History’s whores are your future loves’

Brings that chair down with a great shove

‘And keep the noise down, enough is enough’

Well those words hold strong and hang tough

‘History’s whores are your future loves’


On the streets below I meet a man

The local kids like to call Satan

They say he lost his family in a fire from a chip pan

But he walked from the fire

Rather than ran

He looks on me and says

‘I ain’t never seen a sorrier state of man’

And those words haunt my head again and again

‘I ain’t never seen a sorrier state of man’


I was eating a burger bigger than a lion’s share

When an angel across ascends from her chair

With bolt blue eyes and long golden hair

She says ‘It’s your own flesh that you eat in there’

I say ‘Well, I taste good and you shouldn’t care’

But as I swallow down the meat, it’s these words that I digest

‘It’s your own flesh’

‘Own flesh’


‘So I find the nearest bar to saturate my thirst

And I drink till I feel I am liable to burst

And the bartending demon says ‘Man, you look the worst-

By the impractical morality of being,

You are both blessed and cursed’

I replied ‘You are a philosopher second and a barkeep first

And my bottles empty and another one I’d like to nurse’

But in the words of the wise he was well versed

And while I could not remember just what he had said

It was something about being blessed and cursed

Something about being both blessed and cursed.