POST-HOLIDAY-POST DEPRESSION

I get back from Holiday

To an inbox full of emails

I know

If these had been real post

I’d be sailing out the door on a sea of mundane letters

The world’s forests would be so many empty fields

There’d be no oxygen and we’d all return to bacteria

So let’s thank computers we’re all still alive.


The man in the ugly lime suit comes in

And dumps half a poison oak tree

Complete with abacus business rune formula

On my desk and asks if my holiday went well

I nod and do not open my mouth

I had two whiskeys instead of a shower this morning

Without breathing I know my breath


He leaves and I am alone

I push the files from the middle

And JENGA they hit the floor

I know

I’m going to have to pick up all those files soon

And tonight I know

I’m going to forget the shower;

Hit the floor.