A SEMINAR WITH ELIAH (50)

Oh Eliah you old heff -

Coming in with stale beer breath,

That I could abide.

But, I have to chastise

You spittin flies eggs across the room

When you oughta be clearing up the place.

Ess pesh when One glob stuck to my face

And hatched. I was bright orange with anger.

Crystallised in shuddering amber

‘I’m gonna come out and say it,

I know you all have been thinking it,

Poetry is better than fiction’

Ooooh you piece of shit, said internal diction

And I repeated ‘Piece of shit’

Under my breath a bit;

Curse words wasted and impotent

On such beings caught in the moment

You are better than this Eliah

Donut be one of those eye-fliers

I can see the buttons on the waistband

Of your blue jeans are not hand-in-hand,

I can see the buttons on your brown shirt

Donut see eye-to-eye but (I blurt),

To the poet’s mouth, that talk is empty

And to the poem’s ears, twice as deadly

You’re supposed to be threading, not cutting ties

Just look at those black boxes neath the class’s eyes:

All the creatives here brought their own bags

Don’t fill them with more shit.