A HAZING

I remember a party at 5AM

A lie: I don’t remember the party

Try and think of something to recall


Blue wallpaper, though that could have been me

Looking out the window,

Nope, no entry point there.


Aha! In hand, there was a 50cl bottle of nondescript

Whiskey maybe brandy maybe both

Remembered.


There were several red-eyes talking quietly

Listening in half to the first birdsong, the

Leaving bell. Remembered.


A slack-breasted girl inhaling something

From a small brown jar and the

Smell of hospital wards, she said

‘It makes my head feel like a hot balloon,’

Sounds rewarding. Remembered.


Someone by my side peering into a mirror

The face, I do not recollect, it is like looking

Into a rippling pool by torchlight.

‘With these huge bags under my eyes, you would

Expect them to be packing and leaving for good’

‘Quoting Milton?’ I got no response

Maybe it was Milton – I wonder if blind,

He would have done a better job

Of constructing this scene

Of golden drink and blue settings

And parties

At 5AM.