ORPHEI

Does any man

Strum or bang or finger

Only for himself?

I would not say so.

I would not like to say so.

The Chinese Lanterns are sent

Up and up in an inferno

To some phantom Euridi

The NASA blips and beeps are sent

Out and out through the infernal coldblack

To some alien Euridi

Trying to shudder the sky & turn some heads

(If indeed the stuff out there has a head to turn)

But turning nonetheless

Turning out rather than turning in

There’s a hell of a lot of turning in

That tears a man in two.

We were made to

Make waves and get caught in the flow, also.

But what’s the meaning there? What is being the point?

Well, what’s the point on the beak of a bird

When it makes its morning, evening anon cry?

The birds are full of problems, feathered problems

And they tell the world. I don’t understand it

But they tell the world anyway. Maybe some bird,

Some Eurydice

Understands it and answers.

So, does any man

Strum or bang or finger

For only himself?