DOWN & DEEP

Sitting on the silver jetty of the girdered plateau

We’re told ‘fall backward and you’re right in’

I lean back and it’s as if some Higher Power

Picked up the landscape and turned it on its head

I’m flipped & falling into another, bluer world

Pushing myself up the weeded rope

Lead feathers in my pockets

Pulling me deeper into dark blue space

Fish, these small & hungry aquatic birds

Grow larger and larger and become planetary

And I am unsure whether I am orbiting Neptune

Or Neptune is looping round me

The water has formed a fist

And crushes my paper head

I hold my fingers across my nose and blow.

A Napolean Wrasse moves towards me

The thing stares me out with its flat gigantic eye

Warm and unwavering, its skin bashed in

By some celestial silversmith,

A clever blue moon.

I am given a velvety black cock

Down under, called a sea cucumber

It passes through my hands

And onto the ocean bed

This is unlike what I expected

There is not one jot of fear in me

It is as quiet as a carpeted bathroom

And feeling cleansed,

I do not want to leave