UPON THE HILL

I am on a horse that I cannot ride

And death is coming but I have not died

Behind him there is war and horse, he guides

Famine and pestilence; grinning like cadavers

Up upon their horse’s hide

For four ride in the four ride in

Plague points at me and asks ‘how goes the human race?’

‘Not bad’ says I ‘But we’re still in last place’

War laughs and a malevolent smile runs across his face

‘It’s good to know you haven’t given up the chase’

And then he rides out and the bombs fall in his wake

Over a school, the children ring each other’s necks

And the teachers’ bones they break

The hippy’s lovemaking rituals become a rape

As across the darkening globe,

Each other’s white brothers turn into green snakes


Then pestilence rode out but with less pizzazz than war

He crept into buildings

Filled the occupants minds with a particular horror

That a flesh dining disease skulked around the streets

And the world boarded its windows and locked all its doors

Famine licked her lips and out rode the last of the four

And after her appetite had been stirred

The first world’s cheeks mirrored the third

Death waved goodbye as its horse he spurred

Ready to give the world

Alpha and omega: its his and hers

And with the last seen setting sun

Cities burnt with the force of megatons

No man had anywhere left to run

And after their task was done

They returned to the hill that I was upon


‘Now’, said Death ‘doesn’t the world look to be in better health?’

I nodded and asked whether in life I should have accumulated spiritual wealth

‘Nahhh’ its jaw chattered ‘you were always fucked -

Everyone above knew mankind would eat itself’