THE THEMES OF PARENTS, BIRDS, GOD AND PIZZA IN POETRY

I saw the best minds of my generation

Sitting down, eating pizza

Watching Seinfeld,

Eating at faux-Japanese

Restaurants, riding down into the valley

Of the 6000 other hyped-up chains

Riding out, pockets empty, bellies full

With no taste on their tongues

Save disappointment.


They wandered lonely as a cloud

Now all it does it rain rain rain rain, rain

And there’s water water

Everywhere and not a drop to drink

Because everyone in the bar

Is on the beers tonight

(April is the cruellest month

On our wallets and purses)

And the shadows of waxwings

Are ignored as they dart

Inside the window panes.


Jules pipes up ‘my eyes,

My eyes have seen the coming

And going of the lord’

She sticks her tongue

Down the barman’s throat

All guttural he speaks,

‘How do I love thee?

I don’t.’


Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold

All the tired bellies filled with drink.

The bar filters out

And only the owls remain

Tonight, there's me

And the old men

And they're chanting

'God is my father

But where is mother?'

I hear a cry from the Hull

'They fuck you up,

your mum and dad'

Larks, shut your mouth

and have a seat.