CRYING SHAME

He cried all the way from Glasgow

To Cornwall

Even at the interchanges

He was a twenty three year old

Hangover in the day

But in the nights he was good

He made electronic music

Stuff with blips and keyboards

And a tube stuck in his mouth

Like a bird half way through

Swallowing a worm

I could not understand it

But many people got the trick

And he was interesting to watch

But we were in the day &

I could not stand him this day

Both of us were hungover, him

Doubly so.

We were about to get on the train

Connecting us to Padstow

And he sighed and did that double inhalation

Thing that people do when

They’ve been crying for a while

His backpack became stuck in the big plastic doors

And he wiggled himself out

And the backpack fell off onto the platform

I have never had such a great belly laugh since.