CAULDRON

I like nothing more 
than to watch her work.
Bent over a board,
lunette in hand
seesawing spring onions.
Watching the green fingers
crunch and separate 
beneath the curved blade.

This particular bone broth 
has been simmering for weeks
— maybe longer: if a pot is never
removed from the boil
and endlessly filled, does it ever really end? 
there might be a joint or a bone in there 
older than my own.

As she stirs the ladle, I listen to her whispers
spelling out his name, turning two syllables
into four, stretching him out on the rack
of her sentence, until in time, his letters
are utterly meaningless. A true alphabet soup.

If she mildly cackles over the black skillet,
that’s okay with me,
when she asks for a lock of his hair,
I’m well prepared.

We all have our little rituals,
some change more than we know.
This coming together is one of those: 
her way of moving on.