CHEVALIER

Before even the opening of the doors
I saw you, I saw you
don't tell me any different
strutting your stuff, playing
the field in that tight bright
silver, glimmering
like a new set of fancy teeth

you were showing off your wares
like they were tailor-made,
they are tailor-made, cast
to the snug joints of your body
someone beneath me pointed
out your face behind all that metal
like it was some sort of protection,
it is some sort of protection, but believe
me, I see through it all, all your dredged
up ores, your smelted self,
all your plating hammered home
to this hard second skin
you find yourself in

and there's no hiding,
this flaunting for all
riding out, legs apart
I bet you'll go for miles
urging your weight on
in the tensing of your legs
clutching your noble charger
yes, you'll go for miles
hard feet, clopping the bed of mud

don't worry, we're all thinking the same
what will it take, what will it take
to wipe that smile off your face
I hear you grunting, man-pig
clowning around up there
and now the trumpets flare, you take
up your rod, your lance
let's see if you're a match
see just how much you are
what you think you are
and how far
you may be thrown