NEW LEATHER GLOVES

New leather gloves,

The scent of pounded meat

Dense forest and thorn

It pricks a hole in time


I’m back for my only ride in your dad’s

Blue-silver car

Your name, Ja-son, Ja-nus, or something so

Similar to mine still I’m thrown by it

You don’t really own names at that age

Don’t really have much baggage


I see your eyes, muddled brown boxes

Your brown hair in a box too

That won’t do – to action yes

A slingshot eyeing the wasps nest

We brought it down

The confused yellow army

Laying siege to the patio

One of the stingers stuck in dad’s black beard

Another on the pink throbbing lobe of his ear

You were taken home

I was imprisoned in my room

The window slicing us in two, I was

Damned like a twin to mourn itself


Were we happier back then?

The wheels crushing our pets’ heads

They seem to grow back –Bunyip

Spirit of a strong Australian dust devil inside

The body of a meek white rabbit

Made all myxi with its snotty yellow eyes, croaky breath

Went to its death by the hands of doctors

I cried, you wept right up until dinner time


I look at my new black hands

How can this skin have you in?

I close my eyes to ride again

In your dad’s blue-silver car