DOGS AND HEAVEN

In the blue silver of the mid-morning sky

An eyebrow of light moves across – Hold

On – Stop thinking it is god, it’s not god, it resembles

An eyebrow is all – could be the eyebrow of a dog

Well, not 'dog-brows' to speak of, but those ridges that suggest

Interest when raised and an interest in

Violence when lowered, but then slitty

Eyes mean affection? I don’t understand nature; how can

I understand the divine? And now these eyebrows in the sky,

Mine are raised and lowered and so on and so

Forth, god I have to smoke a cigarette just to calm down and

The curlicues of smoke drift up into the eyebrow now coupled

With the eye of the sun, but calmer now, less intense: maybe

Seeing a god in everything is like talking to a dog and expecting

The right answer, silly and profound in that there isn’t one.