From somewhere deep within
I exhale a dull groan:
another angel has landed
in my orange juice,
the third one this week
and I’ve sworn to myself
I am done helping them out
This one is a creation
of pure, unadulterated beauty
I can hardly keep from crying
my eyes triple blink
washing away the wetness.
Against the tiny forehead
its majestic brown curls
are lacquered and sticky,
the face is in utter shock -
the poor attempt at doggy paddle,
swimming, it seems, is not
one of God's lessons
I shake my head and peer
into the gasping mouth
I light a cigarette
I’m no ones life guard
it’s not listening
the ears are clogged
with acidic juice
I watch the morning traffic
spin around the park
Well, I’m justified,
If I save but one,
I'll have to
save them all.
How else am I to get
my vitamin C?
Now fortified with protein.
How much does a celestial body weigh?
How much is my five a day?
Returning to the glass
there are no ripples
there is no movement
I can no longer see the angel
I drain the glass
pay the cheque
and leave no tip