PUNCH LINE

He himself carried the fire and the knife. As the two of them went on together, Isaac spoke up and said to his father Abraham, “Father?”  

On the blue hill, the wind rushes 
through his hair and trembles
through me. There is no cloud. 
The great red eye is watching. 

I wait with a gulp, it sticks in my throat
I feel too long. All this time too short, 
my bones extended beyond my skin 
a funny tent made by a child 

My child kneels beneath the knife 
the wind rushes through his hair 
and trembles through me. All this
time, there is none to wait,
His command is His command   

I bring the knife down and thunder cracks  
and cracks and the knife falls  
from my hand. The old man is there 
upon a cloud, kingly and smiling toothy 
“Oh you,” he beams, “I was only ever joking”