CONSIDERING ORANGES

I sleep heavy I dream light

Where the pillow feathers

Poke around inside the head

Quill stuff you’ve never heard


There is a lot of merging

The human form expands moves

Into things, like a ride in the astral

Plane or the thought of being dead


For example


Take an orange


I push myself into it


And the sun flares the plume

Of the evening snow on the valley

The shivering black trees

The forest is all aflame


The parrot finch headbutts

A ripe rosehip, the juice dripping

Off the beak and back onto

The bright glowing orb


Sweet citrus nectar on a coal dark day

The bus stops short and the juice

Spits forward onto the white shirt in front

Of a suited man, grimaces says nothing


Grandmother with the gold ochre scissors

Snipping away, tending her Lion’s Ear

The fog of cataract clearing and now

Focussed and hard like apricot stones


Citrus light

The orange


I come up out of it


The ink wet pillow feathers moult

Spiral down inside the head

I sleep heavy

I dream light